omg seriously pads and tampons should be free to all women because it’s not something we want to buy and they’re so ridiculously expensive we’re down like 20 bucks every month which adds to about $240 a year and we have to spend it and guys don’t and it’s not our fault so they should be free
Over the last 48 hours, there has been a sustained effort to smear Trayvon Martin, the 17-year old African-American who was shot dead by George Zimmerman a month ago. Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, said, “They killed my son, now they’re trying to kill his reputation.”
Thus far these attacks have fallen into two categories: false and irrelevant. Much of this leaked information seems intended to play into stereotypes about young African-American males. Here’s what everyone should know:
1. Prominent conservative websites published fake photos of Martin. Twitchy, a new website run by prominent conservative blogger Michelle Malkin, promoted a photo — purportedly from Martin’s Facebook page — that shows Martin in saggy pants and flipping the bird. The photo, which spread quickly on conservative websites and Twitter, is intended to paint Martin as a thug. As Twitchy later acknowledged, it is not a photo of Trayvon Martin. [Examiner]
2. The Sanford Police selectively leaked irrelevant, negative information about Martin. The authorities told the Orlando Sentinel this morning that Trayvon was suspended from school for ten days “after being found with an empty marijuana baggie.” There is no evidence that Martin was under the influence of drugs at the time of his death, nor would prior possession of marijuana be a reason for killing him. It’s unclear what the relevance of the leak was, other than to smear Martin. [Orlando Sentinel]
3. On Fox News, Geraldo said that Martin was dressed “like a wannabe gangster.” Bill O’Reilly agreed with him. The sole evidence is that Martin was wearing a hoodie. Geraldo added that “everyone that ever stuck up a convenience store” was wearing a hoodie. [ThinkProgress; The Blaze]
4. Without any evidence, prominent right-wing bloggers suggested that Martin was a drug dealer. Right-wing blogger Dan Riehl advances the theory, also advanced in a widely linked peice on a site called Wagist. There does not appear to be any evidence to support this claim whatsoever. [Riehl World View]
5. Without any evidence, a right-wing columnist alleged that Martin assaulted a bus driver. Unlike Zimmerman, Trayvon has no documented history of violence. This allegation continues to be advanced by a blogger on the Examiner even after the real reason was leaked to the police and confirmed by the family. [Miami Herald; Examiner]
6. Zimmerman’s friend says Martin was to blame because he was disrespectful to Zimmerman. Zimmerman’s friend Joe Oliver said that Martin would not have been shot to death if Trayvon had just said “I’m staying with my parents.” Of course, Zimmerman was not a police officer, and Trayvon had no duty to tell him who he was or where he was going. [NBC News]
When POC characters are turned white:this isin't about race, if you think it is then you're the racist one, lets just enjoy the book/film as it is, this is about the character's personality god you're so sensitive, the new skin tone actually fits the character's personality IMO, I never imagined them as POC anyway, not all whitewashing is racist god get over it!!111
When white characters are turned into POC:omg how could they!?!?!? this is soooo racist and unfair! why cant they present that white character as WHITE, how dare they change the original skin color to suit their own terms! this is reverse racism!! this is about race! I NEVER imaged that white character to be a POC that is so weird, it doesn't fit, this is political correctness gone crazy!!
STILL CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE PEOPLE THINK WOMEN ARE USELESS AND MEN HAVE MORE MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER OTHER
HOW CAN ANYONE THINK THIS FOR REAL JKDLDHKDJKD
Because too often women are led to believe that their best qualities are not female qualities and that other women/girls who act like women/girls are soooo annoying and dudes are better friends and more magical unicorns so therefore in fiction they have a hard time shedding those biases and seeing redeeming qualities in fictional women and the relationships and interests of those ladies?
There are a few issues that have been bothering me about the upcoming Spider-Man reboot but they are more or less what every other Spidey fan is worried about these days. However, there is one particular issue that’s bothering me above everything else. Probably because it’s coming straight from the people that are involved in the movie and not just speculation on the fans’ part based on trailers and rumors. I’m referring to the following quotes:
“Gwen falls in love with Peter Parker, while I think Mary Jane fell in love with Spider-Man.” - Emma Stone, source
and the most recent,
“In the comics, Gwen fell for Peter Parker, and Mary Jane was more after Spider-Man.” - Marc Webb (followed by)“Gwen is in love with Peter Parker in spite of him being Spider-Man.” - Emma Stone source
If they were referring to the Sam Raimi trilogy this argument could have had some basis (emphasis on some because by the end of the movie MJ is in love with Peter despite her initial attraction to Spider-Man), but they are referring to the comic books. Mind you, the interviewers were the ones that on both occasions asked about the differences between Gwen and MJ, and while Emma initially pointed out that the girls come from completely different family backgrounds (accurate!) and about how Gwen is equal to him on an intellectual level because she is the valedictorian (I don’t like it when one is considered intellectually equal because they get good grades while another is not because their goals are not academic…but at least Peter and Gwen do have common interests when it comes to school etc.), the comments about how MJ fell in love with Spider-Man and not Peter were not only unnecessary but also completely inaccurate.
The first obvious problem here is the pitting of women against each other. Seriously guys, fandoms do it just fine on their own, trust me. No need for fuel! It’s one thing to point out differences in personality and another to talk about MJ as if she’s some Spidey fangirl after his autograph. So without further ado, let me show you how wrong you are (as in with scans of the actual source material). Warning: I’m not really an eloquent person when i’m heated up and English is not my first language, so bear with me.
For the people that don’t follow the SM comic books and for the ones whose memories need a bit of freshening up, I should start off with the fact that MJ knew about Peter’s secret identity before she even met him in person. Long story short, the night Uncle Ben died MJ saw Peter coming out of his window dressed up as Spider-Man (she was visiting her aunt Anna who lived next to the Parkers). Here’s her reaction:
In typical MJ fashion she goes out to party because that’s what MJ used to do. She was the original party animal in comics after all. When you’re about to pass out, go to the nearest night club.
ok, like, jumping right into the ongoing oh but martin freeman’s not homophobic debate:
as a queer woman, yeah, i found that shit he said really fucking offensive and hurtful, like, wow, sit down, straight man.
1) maybe don’t use derogatory anti-queer slurs in reference to the queer people you’re purportedly defending, how about that, jackass.
2) maybe the reason why lots of queer people, including artists, including popular artists, remain closeted or semi-closeted is none of your damn business. like, wow, here, let’s consider all the many reasons why some queer people choose not to divulge their identity and/or orientation to the world at large: rejection by friends and family, obsessive media attention paid to their identity/orientation in a culture that still approves of and encourages casual and violent bigotry towards queer persons, the possibility that it may in fact negatively impact their professional career(s), possible violence directed towards their persons or their loved ones esp if they are high profile or a queer person who is not a cis white dude, and wow, gosh, so many more reasons none of which is COWARDICE.
3) how mighty brave of you, straight dude, to tell queer people they’re essentially being cowards for not coming out. how about instead of blaming queer people for the oppression they suffer you work alongside them to dismantle the systems of oppression that make it so they do not or cannot feel safe announcing their queerness?
4) there is absolutely nothing brave or helpful about a straight man going UGH THOSE DANG QUEERS THEY’RE SO STUPID FOR NOT COMING OUT GOD
5) truly, the bravest one of all is the straight cis man who has never experienced systematic cruelty on both micro and macro scales on the basis of his sexual identity/orientation. :’) he’s a candle in the window on a long cold winter’s night, y’all. gives me hope.
martin freeman, reigning champ
also if you don’t get why it’s racist as shit for a white man to determine the value and worthiness of a form of music and artistic expression the performers of which are predominantly black, while simultaneously busting out the n-word like five thousand dang times in the same interview, just stop. stop forever.
Martin Freeman lives in the magical post-race, post-homophobia world!